ZALI STEGGALL’S CLIMATE CHANGE BILL
* Aims to limit global warming to well below 2C, pursuing efforts to limit it to 1.5C above pre-industrial temperatures.
* Net zero carbon emissions target by 2050.
* To achieve the target, the minister creates an emissions budget.
* Establishes a Climate Change Commission to prepare a national climate change risk assessment every five years.
* The commission is made up of a chair, Australia’s chief scientist and five other members – who must have experience in either climate science, business, agriculture, environmental management, energy, transport or regional development.
* The assessments cover the risks climate change poses to the economy, society, agriculture, environment, and ecology.
* In response, the minister creates a national adaptation plan.
* The commission provides the minister with yearly adaptation plan progress reports.
* Decisions made under the Act must be based on the best available science.
* It abolishes the current Climate Change Authority, with the commission to take its place.
Australian Associated Press
Credit: Source link